Type Access
Other Activities

Rules & Regulation

Information for Non-Resident Hunters and Anglers



1. Contact an Outfitter


Non-resident big game licences are available only through the services of a licensed outfitter. Your outfitter will provide you with a fully outfitted hunt including accommodations, food and a guide. Hunters should contact the outfitter of their choice to determine the availability of licenses. Use our Hunting and Angling Finder for more information on available outfitters. Your outfitter will inform you of any pertinent requirements.


2. Entering Canada 


When traveling to Canada either by air or ground, there are a few basic things to remember. You will be required to clear through Canadian Customs regardless of whether you fly or drive. If flying, you will need to present identification in the form of a passport, or in some states an enhanced driver’s licence is acceptable. At customs you will be asked several questions about the purpose of your trip, the length of your stay, where you live, who you are hunting with etc. It is a very good idea to have some written verification (like a contract or a brochure from your outfitter, to show what your destination is.


At this point, all alcohol, tobacco and firearms must be declared. This process usually goes quickly and you should soon be on your way. Remember thousands of travelers enter Canada each day and the process is relatively simple.


3. Importing Firearms


You are allowed to bring your personal firearms with you. This includes your rifles and/or shotguns . Archery equipment does not fall under these requirements and therefore has no declaration form. For your firearms, a simple one-page form (CAFC 909) is required to be filled out to obtain a temporary Canadian Firearms permit. Your Outfitter will likely provide this to you with your Hunt Contract if needed or you can download it from the “Forms” section below. Completing this in advance should reduce your time clearing customs.


A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is only valid for the person who signs it and for those firearms listed on the declaration. If you come with others who will be using firearms in Canada, you will each need to meet these requirements.


4. Ammunition


 In general, for personal use, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes. If you are flying, most airlines have weight restrictions for ammunition. You can also check with your outfitter for the cost and availability of your required ammo in the area you will be hunting. In most areas you can generally find the more common calibers.


5. Reasons to prevent entry to Canada.


 A D.U.I can prevent travel to Canada. The folks at Canada Border Crossing Services can help you if you have a prior conviction. You can contact them at www.bordercrossing.ca or call 1-800-438-7020. 


If you have any type of criminal conviction (even if you've been charged and not convicted), you should notify your outfitter or call Canada Border Crossing Services well in advance so that clearance can be arranged.




1. Contact an outfitter  


Non-resident trout and salmon anglers may engage the services of an outfitter who will provide you with experienced guides to ensure you get the most out of your fishing trip. To plan your fishing trip of lifetime, click here to access our Hunting and Angling Finder.

Additional information on the regulations regarding angling on scheduled salmon and inland waters in Newfoundland and Labrador is available in the current Angler’s Guide, produced by Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

Additional information on the regulations regarding hunting in Newfoundland and Labrador can be found the Department and Environment and Conservation website at  https://www.flr.gov.nl.ca/department/legislation.html#general



Firearms registration- CAFC 909